CHARITY AUCTION AND EVENT
TO BENEFIT UKRAINE REFUGEE ASSISTANCE
Like most people, we’ve been shocked and saddened by what’s been going on in Ukraine. While there’s unfortunately not much we can do to put an end to the war itself, there’s a ton of charitable organizations out there doing work to aid those in need as a result of it, and those organizations could definitely use our support.
As a conscientious community with a distinguished history of charitable giving and an incredible ability to bring financial resources to bear upon an endeavor, the Hamptons can serve as a vital ally to those who’ve been forced to flee or have been otherwise displaced by the conflict in Ukraine. And we, at Dune Road Lifestyle, have taken it upon ourselves to put together a means for our community to come together and do just that.
Without further ado, we present to you The Hamptons For Ukraine, a charity auction and event to benefit Ukraine refugee assistance.
SO, WHAT'S THE PLAN?
For two weeks this summer (dates TBA), we’re going to be running an online silent auction to raise funds for our partner organization, USA for UNHCR. We’re being super selective about our auction lots, working with both local and national creators, brands and businesses to put together an absolutely jaw-dropping list of unique items and experiences. Think things you can’t believe you can bid on, and that you couldn’t possibly get anywhere else. It’s ambitious; we know.
Now, obviously, at the end of the auction, we’ll announce the winners. We could do that by e-mail, but where’s the fun in that? (Hint: nowhere.) So, in true Hamptons / DRL fashion, we’ll do it live at an event hosted at a local east end spot (precise location TBA), with all the usual fanfare, pageantry and hullabaloo (or maybe just DJs, live musical performances, a liquor sponsor or two, a photo booth, swag bags, and maybe even some snacks).
Date / Time
THE UKRAINE REFUGEE CRISIS
- The war in Ukraine has raged on since February 2022.
- Estimates as of early May 2022 put the total number of displaced persons at 12 million, of which an estimated 6 million have fled Ukraine for other countries. (Source: BBC)
- Risks posed to refugees include limited access to food and water, limited access to shelter, threats to physical safety and security (including, e.g., threat of human trafficking), limited access to education, limited resettlement opportunities, etc. (Source: UNHCR)
- The conflict may continue for months, and the number of refugees fleeing Ukraine may continue to rise.
- The conflict has damaged critical infrastructure throughout Ukraine, posing challenges to refugee repatriation and rebuilding which will linger longer after the cessation of hostilities within Ukraine.
UNHCR'S WORK IN UKRAINE
- The UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) is an organization within the UN mandated to aid and protect refugees across the globe. Founded by the UN General Assembly in 1950, UNHCR has helped an estimated 50 million refugees worldwide.
- UNHCR has been extremely active in Ukraine refugee assistance. From providing protection services to those at-risk of human trafficking to providing resettlement assistance and access to education for children, the work of the UNHCR is vital to those in need in Ukraine.
- UNHCR relies on a variety of funding sources, including private donations and fundraising like this event. We’re able to contribute to UNHCR via its US-based organization, USA for UNHCR.